05 May 2009

Logic Class

Logic Class

This semester I am taking two classes with teachers that have control of the class, and we don’t have any group work outside of class so I am not able to post about crazy things and people. But here are some tidbits from my current quarter.

Logic Teacher:
-our class meets one evening a week, and every week this guy brings in a paper cup of some liquid to drink in class. It would not be strange except that every week he has brought a cup from In-N-Out, the amazing local burger franchise. When someone asked him if he went to IN-N-Out every time before class he joked, “Or maybe I just bring the same cup to class every week.” And then last week he came to class with an IHOP cup. WHAT’S GOING ON IN THE WORLD?

-This guy likes to give sports anecdotes and sports analogies to everything. He seems to limit his sports to baseball and basketball. Come on, mix it up a bit, how about equestrian? Or squash? And every week, there always seems to be a basketball game on during class time and someone always asks if we can just skip the rest of class and go home early to watch the game.

-One day our teacher told us a story about twins: He knew these guys who are identical twins. One twin is smart; the other twin is dumb. The dumb twin always insisted on carrying with him a picture of his identical twin brother to remember what his brother looks like. When asked why he carries a picture of his brother and why he doesn’t just look in a mirror, dumb twin says, “He’s my brother, I want to know what he looks like.” When my teacher finally asked smart twin about his brother’s habits of carrying a picture of him around, smart twin said, “Yeah, he’s not too smart.”

Logic Students:
-I am pretty much a flunk in anything hinting of fashion. So imagine my surprise at seeing this:
One day a student came into class and she was holding a purse. This purse looks like something an older, fashionable lady would carry. It had a boxy but round body that was not too large, not too small, and small loopy handles large enough for someone to hold the handles with their hand or hook it at the bend of their arm but not at their shoulder. When the student sat down, I expected her to place her purse on the floor. What I did not expect was that her purse came with a hook, to hang one end onto her desk and to hang the purse on the other end. Wow! So during class, not only was her purse off the floor, it was dangling from the side of her desk within arms reach of goofing off! Is this a new trend in handbags? Have I been living under a rock?

-Another way that I am defunct in fashion: Last Tuesday there were two students, one was Purse girl, the other was the Cougher who came to class wearing very color-coordinated (not with themselves). Purse girl came in wearing in all red. Red shirt, red pants, red shoes. It was just so red. Is it still ok for women in their 20s to wear the same hue for all pieces of clothing? Especially if the event is a logic class at the community college on a Tuesday night? I really thought that wearing the same color head to toe was only ok until elementary school, tops. But really what do I know?

-The Cougher came in the other day wearing an ORANGE shirt. It’s hard for people of certain skin tones to wear orange, and I think she did an ok job. I am told that I look like I have jaundice when I wear yellow or orange, so maybe I am jealous. What I am not jealous about is that she seems to like orange so much that she also has an orange-colored binder and an orange-colored purse. I guess people still end up color coordinating their accessories and clothing, but with orange it’s just so much more noticeable. Is it still ok for women in their 20s to color-coordinate their school supplies and clothing, especially when the are bright colors?
Side note: When the teacher passed his handouts down every aisle, I was cringing every time the Cougher, who sat in front of me, passed the stack of papers to me. WHAT IF I CAUGHT SOMETHING AND BROUGHT IT HOME TO MY IMMUNO-COMPRISED FAMILY MEMBER? I took a glance at the Cougher’s work ID badge hanging from her neck: DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH.

Help! Save me from being a healthy fashion faux pas!

1 comment:

kansasliz said...

Those are some great purse stories. I think I need one of those clip purses.

I just listened to a story on Talk of the Nation and they said that during the 1918 flu in San Franciso people didn't like the look of surgical masks so some people starting wearing chiffon surgical masks. I sure that helped contain the outbreak.